xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

Monday 12 August 2013

The Fanfic REVISITED

[The following are the Foreword & Afterword of xgirl's x-files fan fiction ebook, circa 2001]

In the Beginning...


It was suggested to me by the first person who read Crossing Lines that I should consider turning it into a “novel type” publication. At the time, I hardly knew if I would be writing any more fanfic at all, never mind shooting for something on such a grand scale. As the saying goes, “funny how things turn out” because as I put my collection of completed fanfic into this volume, the total amount amazed me. Significant other authors have written reams more than me, but I just never realized that what “little” I had managed to create would add up to so many pages.

My fanfic “career” began in September of 1998 (or March 1999, depending on interpretation) and ended, for all intents and purposes, in June of 2001. It was a unique experience that I will treasure for a long time to come. I’m ever grateful for the modest bits of success that I managed to achieve and to have been given supportive feedback, recognition and encouragement from the very first moment. Whether it was the thrill of discovering that people were recommending my stories on various message boards, or the surprise of not once but twice having my work selected as the “fic of the week” at a fanfic archive, it’s safe to say that I’ve had a memorable time.

One of life’s certainties is that hobbies and interests will always come and go. It’s not often, however, that one’s mere hobby can have a lasting impact on others around the world. These stories are my contribution to the world of TXF fandom. I hope you’ll enjoy reading them as much I enjoyed writing them.

* * * * *

All of my stories are now on separate pages here on this blog (although the two R-rated adventures have had their adult content removed).

If you want all of them in a single PDF volume, get one from free-ebooks.net.

Finally, you can access each story individually by doing a search for me under the Author Listings at Gossamer, where I am xgirl without the hyphen.

Alternatively, you can also email me and I will simply send the PDF your way.


* * * * *

... and in the End


In the end, it didn't end as I wanted it to. I wanted this proud, ground-breaking show to head off into the sunset in a dignified way, with head held high and leaving its audience yearning for more. Not in my wildest dreams did I foresee not watching the show as it continued to air, nor did I foresee losing interest even while one of my main reasons for watching was still involved.

But I'm not going to dwell on what became of M&S in the world of canon. Quite truthfully, their on-screen relationship stopped making sense to me at the beginning of season six when it was quite obvious that — "missed kiss" aside — the creators wanted them to go back to their old games. In a way, writing fanfic kept me invested in the show throughout seasons six and seven, as I was determined to come up with a realistic way to bring closure to the years-long flirtation... to give Mulder and Scully, in essence, an "end" that made sense — sans baby.

I guess you could say that the stories that you've just finished reading were written for those who felt cheated by what they saw on their TV screen. If you've found the experience worthwhile and would like to share some of your own feelings about this trip back in TXF time, drop me a line. I'd love to hear from you. Or, at the very least, come visit my website and immerse yourself in my x-files experience...

Oh, and thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment